Perennials are a popular choice for gardeners who want to create a beautiful, low-maintenance garden that comes back year after year. These long-lived plants can be a great investment for your outdoor space, offering a wide range of colours, shapes, and sizes. At Horticentre, we offer a wide selection of high-quality perennial plants that will thrive in a variety of growing conditions. Whether you're looking to fill in gaps in your flower beds or add some height and interest to your garden, our collection of perennials is sure to offer something that will suit your needs. So, sit back, relax and start browsing our collection of perennial plants to find the perfect additions for your garden.
Return every year | Free delivery within 5 mile radius | Order online
Enjoy the long-lasting beauty of perennials
Perennial plants are a great addition to any outdoor space for several reasons. They offer long-lasting beauty that returns year after year, making them a great investment for your garden. Unlike annuals that need to be replanted every year, perennials die back in the winter and come back in the spring, providing a reliable source of colour and interest in your garden.
Horticentre's Preferred Perennials
At Horticentre, we offer a wide selection of perennial plants, but some of our most popular varieties are:
- Hostas: Hostas are a low-maintenance perennial that are popular for their attractive foliage, which comes in a range of shades of green and blue.
- Coneflowers: Coneflowers, also known as Echinacea, produce showy flowers that are attractive to pollinators and add a pop of colour to any garden.
- Black-eyed Susan: This hardy perennial produces cheerful yellow flowers with dark centres, making it a favourite of gardeners and pollinators alike.
- Sedums: Sedums are a low-maintenance perennial that are perfect for rock gardens, producing clusters of small flowers in shades of pink, red, and yellow.
- Salvia: Salvia is a versatile perennial that produces long-lasting flowers that are attractive to pollinators and come in a range of colours.
Whether you're looking to add colour to a sunny border, fill in a shady corner, or create a stunning focal point in your garden, we have the perfect perennial plant for you.
Why choose perennial plants?
Perennials are low-maintenance and generally require less watering and fertilisation than annuals. Once established, they can often survive periods of drought and neglect, making them a great choice for busy gardeners or those with less time to tend to their garden. Perennials also come in a wide variety of colours, shapes, and sizes, making them a versatile choice for a range of garden styles and designs. From tall spiky flowers to low-growing ground covers, there is a perennial plant to suit every taste and need.
And like many bedding plants, perennials are great for attracting pollinators to your garden, such as bees and butterflies, which are crucial for the health and wellbeing of our ecosystem. By planting perennials that are attractive to pollinators, you can help support these important creatures and create a vibrant and healthy garden environment.
What to do with perennial plants?
There are many things you can do with perennials in your garden. And the best thing about perennials is, you only have to do it once! A perennial plant will return in full bloom year after year!
Create a perennial border
Plant a variety of perennials along the edge of your garden or along a fence to create a colourful and long-lasting border.
Create a cutting garden
Many perennials make great cut flowers, so why not plant a garden dedicated to providing fresh flowers for your home? Popular choices include peonies, coneflowers, and dahlias.
Mix with annuals
Perennials can be mixed with annuals to create a beautiful and ever-changing display in your garden. Choose a mix of plants that bloom at different times of the year to ensure that there is always something in flower.
Add interest to containers
Many perennials can be grown in containers, making them a great choice for adding interest to your patio or balcony. Choose compact varieties such as dwarf coneflowers or miniature hostas for smaller containers.
When to plant perennials?
The best time to plant perennials depends on the specific plant and your location. In general, however, the best time to plant perennials is in the spring or autumn when the weather is cooler and there is more moisture in the soil.
- In the spring, it's best to plant perennials as soon as the soil can be worked and temperatures have started to warm up. This will give the plants time to establish their root systems before the hot summer months.
- In the autumn, it's best to plant perennials about 4-6 weeks before the first frost date in your area. This will give the plants time to establish their root systems before the ground freezes and go dormant for the winter.
Do perennials need a lot of care?
Perennials do require some care, but they are generally low-maintenance plants that are easy to care for. Here are some basic care tips for perennials:
- Watering: Most perennials prefer evenly moist soil, so be sure to water them regularly during dry spells. However, be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
- Mulching: Adding a layer of mulch around your perennials can help retain moisture in the soil, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature.
- Fertilising: Perennials generally do not require a lot of fertiliser, but you can add a slow-release fertiliser in the spring or mid-summer to promote healthy growth.
- Pruning: Some perennials benefit from pruning, such as cutting back faded blooms or removing dead or damaged foliage. This can also help encourage new growth and prevent disease.
- Division: Over time, perennials can become overcrowded and may need to be divided. This involves digging up the plant, separating it into smaller sections, and replanting them. This can help promote healthier growth and prevent overcrowding.
Perennials are a great choice for low-maintenance gardening. As long as you provide them with the right growing conditions and a little bit of care, they will reward you with beautiful blooms year after year.
Order perennial plants online at Horticentre
At Horticentre, we believe that every garden can benefit from the beauty and resilience of perennial plants. With our wide selection you can easily find the perfect plants to suit your style and growing conditions. And with the convenience of online shopping, you can browse our selection and order from the comfort of your own home. Plus, with our free delivery within a 5-mile radius, you can enjoy the convenience of home delivery at no extra cost. So why wait? Start browsing our selection today and select your favourites to upgrade your outdoor space with beautiful and long-lasting blooms.