As winter casts its chilly spell, it might seem like the vibrant colours of your garden are put on hold until spring. However, with careful selection, your outdoor space can remain a kaleidoscope of hues even in the coldest months. Join Horticentre in exploring some of the top plants that add a burst of colour to your garden during the winter, turning your outdoor haven into a picturesque landscape despite the frosty weather.
- Winter-Flowering Heathers (Erica carnea): Winter-flowering heathers are a steadfast choice for adding pops of colour to your garden during the colder months. With hues ranging from deep pinks to whites, these hardy plants thrive in well-drained soil and provide a low-maintenance solution for winter interest.
- Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum): This deciduous shrub graces the winter garden with delicate yellow blooms. Winter jasmine is known for its ability to withstand colder temperatures and can be trained to cascade down walls or allowed to sprawl naturally. Its bright blossoms are a cheerful addition to any winter landscape.
- Hellebores (Helleborus): Often referred to as the Christmas or Lenten rose, Hellebores are prized for their elegant, nodding flowers that bloom from late winter into early spring. With colours ranging from whites and pinks to deep purples, these hardy perennials bring a touch of sophistication to winter gardens.
- Winter Pansies (Viola x wittrockiana): Winter pansies are a delightful addition to pots, borders, or hanging baskets. With their smiling faces in shades of purple, yellow, and white, they add a playful charm to the winter garden. These cold-tolerant flowers are resilient in frosty conditions, making them a perfect choice for winter colour.
- Dogwood (Cornus): The vibrant stems of certain dogwood varieties, such as Cornus alba and Cornus sanguinea, provide a striking display in winter. Their fiery red and orange stems stand out against the backdrop of winter foliage or snow, adding a bold and architectural element to your garden.
While winter may bring a chill to the air, your garden doesn't have to succumb to a monochrome palette. By incorporating these top plants for winter colour, you can transform your outdoor space into a vibrant oasis even in the coldest months. Head to our garden centre in Overton to discover these winter wonders and bring a splash of colour to your garden during the frosty season.